Tuesday, March 29, 2011

From the Mind of Babalu #2

Today I did some thinking.  A few weeks ago, I read an article about what Romulo Barral's training schedule looks like you can see it here.http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/2011/03/15/championship-mentality/ I was wondering what do some of your training schedules look like.  I know none of ours can compare to Romulo's, this guy is a beast!  My thought is how do people work their training around their schedules.  I know some of you work, are students, have families etc...  So how do you do it?

Here is mine:

I work a full time and part time job.  The part time job is at Gracie Barra Texas so that helps with my training schedule.  I have a wife, a 2 year old daughter, and another child on the way.  I train in the classes at Gracie Barra on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.  I try to get in extra work on Fridays and Sundays whether it be just extra rolling or Strength and Conditioning.    I have an extremely understanding wife, and on the days that I try to get extra training I try to limit it to 1 hour- 1.5 hours total.

So that is how I do it... in the same kind of format in the comments field below lets see how everyone else does it.  Should be pretty interesting.

4 comments:

  1. First off, I am a full time student so if I’m not training I’m resting or studying/attending school. Usually I train Monday through Thursday. Monday is just BJJ, Tuesdays I will usually train BJJ in the morning and then in the afternoon I’ll do my weight training, Wednesday I’ll do back to back practices – Wrestling then BJJ. And finally by Thursday I’m all beat up and worn out and ill do another BJJ session. Saturday I also do a weight routine – so I give myself two rest days Friday and Sunday. I am currently experimenting with my schedule because I notice by Thursday’s BJJ practice I’m very worn out and hurting. I enjoy the weekends and sleeping in so that is why my practices are during the week although I may have to adjust them for better recovery time.

    I am very impressed with Romulo’s schedule and curious to see what his diet looks like. I know for me personally, I feel like I’m pushing the envelope with over training and I still don’t even do what I would like, which would be some extra cardio and a lot more flexibility training.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie,

    I would say listen to your body when you need to. There are some days when my body is feeling like crap and I push through because I know I need to. Then there are sometimes where I don't put in any extra work on Friday's or Sunday's cause all I want to do is lay around and rest. Diet is really key for me though. If I worked my body 5 days a week my diet has to be clean or I will feel it. If I'm eating junk my body will basically shut down. These last few weeks my diet has been extremely clean so I've done 5 days a week.

    One thing I've noticed is that rolling after I've done Strength and Conditioning is good for me. I usually get that second wind during the rolling session and I kill 2 birds with one stone on the same day.

    Your schedule looks good... I guess nobody else wanted to share LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha my schedule is usually super busy.
    Mondays and Wednesdays I go to work from 8-12 then go to the gym, after that i take a nap then go train mma and bjj. After bjj i go back to the gym for cardio.

    Tuesdays and Thursdays I go to school then go to the gym. After the gym I go to work go train bjj and go finish of my day with cardio at the gym.

    Fridays I work 8 hrs and go to work out during lunch. after work I usually go to open mat.
    Saturdays I usually work in the morning and rest afterwards.
    Sundays I do open mat or train mma.


    I work out a lot but my body doesnt feel tired but every now and then I kinda feel fatigued so I just rest if I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isai,

    Being a younger cat helps in your department. When I was your age, I played competitive basketball at a high level. I could play for hours and hours everyday and lift afterwards. Your body recovers so much faster now then it will when you start hitting your 30's. Take advantage of the all the free time that you have. Once you settle down and have a family you really have to learn how to work a schedule. Thanks for sharing your schedule, your training shows in your overall improvement on the mat from the time you first started till now. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete