Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Training Blog- 05/11/11

05/10/11

I missed the warm ups.  This doesn't excite me, but its the price you have to pay when you work at the academy.  Some people always dog on me and Colby for not doing the warm ups all the time, but you have to understand that our work has to be taken care of first before any training can happen and I understand that.  I didn't miss any of the technique though.  Today we worked on a basic double leg takedown with an outside hook.  This is a go to take down for a lot of people that I know, its simple, basic, and very effective.  On the ground we learned an effective way to break the grip of someone who is defending the kimura by grabbing their own belt while you are in the side control position.  While working on the technique we all found out just how painfully effective it was.  Its one of those things that you cannot help but let go of your belt because you will suffer the consequences.  After that we learned a slick reverse arm bar from the top side control position to knee on belly.  I have used this type of arm bar from the guard but never from this position.  I like the set up.  Its very smooth and it should be something that I work on to add into my game.

Live training today we started with some situational training from side control.  I don't know what it was but I wasn't comfortable with my side control last night.  How it worked was guy on top tried to submit, mount, or take the back.  Guy on bottom was to sweep or regain any kind of guard.  The winner stayed on top and someone else came in and took the losers place.  Side control has been a solid position for me in the past.  Just for some reason last night I just didn't feel comfortable on top.  I don't know what it was I mean I won more than I lost last night, but I wasn't comfortable at all.  I think on some occasions I got a little impatient from the top and tried to force things that were not there.  Who knows, but I do know that will be a focus of mine in the near future to work on.  We did this for about 15 mins then we did some live training.  I don't exactly know how long the rounds were last night.  They weren't extremely long, but it was still good training.  I got completely smashed by Big Serg!  Serg is a big guy but to add to that he is extremely technical high level purple belt as well.  So my usual game really has no effect on him whatsoever LOL!  I try things cause I don't want to be that guy that just stays there to be safe, but the last thing I want is be on bottom side control looking out for all his tricky chokes and dealing with top pressure.  Guess where I spent most of the round last night?  If you guessed on bottom of his side control dealing with his tricky chokes and top pressure you are right!  Which equates to a miserable round for me and getting smashed hahaha!  I did a couple of more rounds with a couple of blue belts which on of them I worked my bottom submission/sweep set ups and the other I wanted to test the "Secret Agent Sweep and Choke" Lets just say Secret Agent Sweep 2 Me 2 LOL I swept me twice with that sweep and I was able to pass cleanly avoiding the sweep two times .  I don't even know the names of these techniques but the sweep he hits it from everywhere, as soon as you pass to side, if you try knee on belly, when you think you are safe, you are not.  I was able to steer clear of the his famous choke that he has improved on hitting it from various positions as well so that was a victory in itself.

All in all it was a great night of training.  I saw some opportunities of some things that I think I need to work on.  I also some some improvements on some technical aspects of my game that I have been working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment