Thursday, November 10, 2016

From the mind of Babalu... Back at it!

Woah!! It has been over 4 years since I last made a post. I've been slacking, life has been busy and let's just say my time has been very limited. June 1st 2012 was my last post and a lot has happened since then. Lets see on that date:

1. I was still a 4 stripe purple belt!
2. I was about to make a career change
3. I was preparing for IBJJF Worlds Masters (I placed 3rd)

Lets speed this up a bit, I was awarded my Black Belt in July of this year by my Instructor and mentor Professor Draculino. One of the best instructors in world and one of the best human beings I have had the pleasure to meet. You know my story is like a lot of other peoples. I grew up an athlete, got injured, got fat, and BJJ brought me back to life. When I started I was 270lbs, I was obese! I trained hard, learned as much as I could, and was fortunate to win my share of tournaments. I learned early as a blue that the Ultra Heavyweight division just wasn't for me. So I set out to lose more weight. I dieted down and at one point in time I had gotten down to 202 lbs which for me it was a bit to small. So I usually hung around 220 and was comfortable with that. I love pizza, well who the hell doesn't! Fast forward to February of 2015 and my back put me out of commission. When I say out of commission I couldn't do anything, no BJJ, no weights, nothing! During that time I was dumb, real dumb and ate like it was nobody's business. So I'm fat again! I got back on the mats regularly in January of 2016 and haven't looked back. Let's get one thing straight though, missing so much time sucks! You lose all timing, your technique is sloppy, your cardio sucks, your hips don't move correctly, and its all so DAMN FRUSTRATING! When you're used to training a certain way and doing many different techniques with ease and now you can't, really makes you have to reevaluate everything and question your BJJ. So that's where I'm at now. I am working on improving and soaking everything up again. Even though I am a black belt, I am still a student and always learning. By keeping an open mind and trying new things your game will always continue to grow. I listen to everyone, doesn't matter if they are instructors or not could be a random blue belt. People who share the same passion as you always have good things to share.

As I set out from the beginning, this blog is something I will use to keep me accountable for my training and the Sensible Portions Weight loss meals journey. Also, like before, I will post videos of techniques, training, workouts (circuit training and weights), MMA, and just have some damn fun! Who knows maybe I will get back to interviewing random students, White belts to black belts, if you have an interesting story I may share it. Follow along, and enjoy the Babalu Experience for some good clean family fun! See you on the mats!

2 comments:

  1. This was a great read. I as well am dealing with a little pain and suffering. With some bad decisions as well. March 18th 2015, I slipped off a scaffold 17' and broke my neck, ribs,and arm. Dislocated shoulder and tore everything. Martial arts has been important to me all of my life. But haven't taken it seriously until I put my daughter at Draculino's School in Webster. She has been training for a little bit more than 6 months. She has done three tournaments and on her 3rd, she placed first. The look on her face was motivational for me. It's like family over there. We all have ups and downs. I stand there 3 to 4 times a week looking through the window or looking at the cage and wondering when will I ever get on the mat. Positive mental attitude is everything. I can mend your blog and I appreciate your words. Soon I will be having my last shoulder surgery and will know my fate. Everything happens for a reason. Stay focused work hard and be patient

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the following and the positive comment! I worked for Professor Draculino for about 6 years. I was his first employee at the original school on El Dorado Blvd and had the privilege of teaching many classes there kids and adults. The place is amazing and I hold it very close to my heart. I recently moved so I train with Professor Marcelo at the Pearland location, but once soccer season is over for my kids I plan on making back there at least once a week. Man I'm sorry for your pain and suffering, life is definitely tricky sometimes. We may fall down, but we will and must keep getting back up. Thanks again for following! Have a great night.

      Delete