Wednesday, November 16, 2016

From the mind of Babalu... What to eat for dinner after training.

A couple days ago I ran across a post on Facebook by a friend of mine asking people where he could get so menudo in our area of town. First of all, me being a current fat body and knowing the restaurants in the area I gave him an option where he could probably get some. Secondly, menudo is terrible! If you don't know what it is google it... basically its a traditional Mexican soup that has cow stomach or tripe in it. The texture of the tripe... yuck... gives me goosebumps just typing about it. If you take the tripe completely out of the equation, the broth and the hominy that's in it is actually pretty good. This turned into an idea from him, what are some things that we should could eat after training. If you are like me, I don't eat dinner until after training. Sometimes training can run kind of late, so he needed some ideas of some healthy meals to eat when he is done. Well Eddie this is for you!

In a perfect world you would have spent a few hours on Sunday prepping your meals for the week. When I wasn't fat this is exactly what I did. I would grill or bake a couple of packages of chicken breast each Sunday. Now I know that plain chicken breast doesn't really taste that great, so I would buy marinades. I personally like the KC Masterpiece 30 minute marinades, Honey Teriyaki and Classic Steakhouse. Now these may have some sugar and sodium in it, but it makes the chicken taste great and its better for you than eating pizza. Another thing I would make on Sundays would be a pan of Lean Turkey Meatloaf and the only thing I would put in there would be a packet of Lipton Onion soup mix. So those would be my proteins for the week, lunches and dinners. The sides are easy you can buy the single cups Uncle Bens brown rice, some sweet potatoes, for your carbs. I would also have plenty of veggies like green beans, broccoli, or whatever you like. So I would eat 6-8 oz. of protein, either a cup of rice or a small sweet potato, and 4 oz. of veggies. I wanted to mix it up a little I would just make a salad with the chicken breast. So that is a perfect world. It worked for me for a very long time, guess what I got away from it and was inactive for quite some time so I became obese lol!

Now what to eat if you don't meal prep? You still have some options. They all won't taste as great as an A1 Thick and Hearty meal from Whataburger, but they will work in a pinch. A lot of major grocery stores will carry Rotisserie Chicken. The chicken is usually quite tasty, since you are at the store already get you a cup a of brown rice and a can of green beans and you're set. If you don't feel like Rotisserie Chicken, most of these stores have a deli with a salad bar. You can make your very own salad. You really have to be careful here, salads are not always healthy. If you are adding bacon, fried chicken, and tons of ranch you are doing it wrong. Add as much greens as you like, add a protein to it like chicken breast or turkey breast. I also like to add some hard boiled egg whites to it. For dressing use a vinaigrette of some sort or my favorite fat free Honey Mustard.

Now if you must eat out here a few options to consider. As always you have the Subway or sandwich shop option, Chicken or Turkey breast on wheat, no mayo (mustard is fine) filled with greens and no chips. Any restaurant that has salads, but always keep in mind what is on the salads. Another option you have if you must east out is a Mexican restaurant. You can always choose the chicken fajitas with the onions and peppers. You are going to have to stay away from the beans, rice, and tortillas. You could possibly have 1 flour tortilla or 2 corn. Some of the large chains offer black beans which would probably be fine. If its beef you want, you can find you steak house that has a lean cut of steak and eat 8 oz. just choose your sides wisely. Seafood? Usually anything that is grilled fish or shrimp would be good. I am not a fish person at all so you are on your own for that one.

In most towns or cities you should be able to find a restaurant that serves something somewhat healthy that you can eat. A lot of these big chain restaurants will probably even have a portion of the menu that has healthier options for you. You just have to make the right decision. Trust me I know, it's not always easy making the right decision! That's why its just easier to not put yourself in that situation and have your food prepped already. Don't forget you can always have one or cheat meals per week, just don't blow it out of the water and not get back on track. In closing don't forget PIZZA IS DELICIOUS!!! #teamweightloss

3 comments:

  1. The problem I run into is that after training,especially the later nights,I have no appetite. I know I should eat,but im usually so exhausted,I just cant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and for following! I would suggest that you put something in your body after training, especially water to replace the fluids you lost during. Think of food as fuel, if your gas tank is on empty and you are exhausted this food will help you recover and fill your tank again. It will help your muscles recover and the proteins will help with the soreness! I hope this helps you in your training! Take care.

      Delete
    2. I agree,water is essential and I always stay hydrated. I hydrate before and after I train. I am learning alot about this sport and even more about myself along this journey. Thank you for helping me along the way.

      Delete